The start of a new year always allows us the opportunity for new beginnings. We make all sorts of resolutions in an effort to achieve our goals. Sometimes we keep them and the goal is achieved however, more often than not, the resolution and the goal go AWOL! We say “it was too hard to fit it in” or “I tried and it was not working”. But when we do stick to the resolution, it is because of our attitude towards that goal, and the behavioural changes we make due to having that attitude, that allows us to remain focussed and achieve success.
Like any other CEO, I have set the goals for 2015 to achieve success for Set That. I have established the quantitative parameters of what success looks like and the dates that certain milestones need to be achieved for us to claim that we have been successful – I don’t need to bore you with the details or let my competitors know that!! But, rest assured, we have what are known as SMART goals.
More importantly, however, this year I have also identified the behaviours that I, and the rest of the Set That team, will look to model in order to achieve that success. I thought I would share them with you here as they might be just as applicable to you and your goals!
The Way We Work Together
– We embrace change and the challenges that we face each day. It is through these challenges that we will show our strength.
– We accept the feelings of discomfort that come with being out of our comfort zones. We do not let them control us to draw us back.
– We are willing to take calculated risks, acknowledging the pros and cons of our decisions and then taking that step forward. Progress is better than perfection.
– We do not fear failure. We will be able to learn and be wiser from it.
– We direct our energy to the tasks at hand, not worry about what has been done or what there is in the future to do
– We bring our best selves each day, being fully in the present and being there for one another. We choose our attitude.
– We move on when something does not go to plan or we make a mistake, not waste time dwelling on it or feeling sorry for ourselves. We will take from it what we need to learn, share those learnings and all grow wiser from the experience.
– We use things we can control to move us towards our success. Equally we understand that many things are out of our control and we do not waste time worrying about those things.
– We reflect on our progress and celebrate our individual and team successes. We see each person’s individual success as a stepping stone on the path towards our shared success.
– We stay the distance. We recognise that building a successful team and business takes commitment, energy and time. We are in it together and will share our success.
– We have fun. We share the joyful moments within each day and try not to take ourselves too seriously. We look for opportunities to create those magic moments of fun together.
With these behaviours as our guide, we are hoping to build a strong, energetic, enthusiastic, successful team at Set That. Based on 2014, I think we are doing well so far!!